Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sad, but Hopeful

They wanted me to take a picture of them and I just love how it turned out! From left: Mauricio, Dayana, and Olman.

Well, Little Hands of Hope has been as busy as ever! We have had a lot of children in and out of this building these last few days. Today though, I have a little bit of a heavy heart. I have just heard that 2 of our boys that come to the center in the afternoon have been stealing quarters from other children in school, slipping out into the streets during class, begging for quarters, and terrorizing the motortaxi that works here in Meanguera. Sadly, I am not surprised. I have also discovered them stealing toys from the center. I was hoping that it was just the temptation of toys they didn't have until I heard about their morning sabotaging outside the school. These children are 5 and 6 years old and have already had the police called on them.
Some of the busyness with our afternoon group. 

I have heavy heart because I love these boys and they really are teachable and sweet children, but they don't have fathers to care for them and their mothers don't pay attention to what they are doing during the day. In fact, one boy's mother works in another town and is not usually home. However, I have hope because, while the sin makes our hearts heavy, Jesus died and rose again to redeem us from our sins. Matia was also discouraged to hear the news, but I reminded him that this is one of the main reasons that Little Hands of Hope exists. We are here to help children in these difficult circumstances and bring them the hope and love of the gospel. I hope that this will change these boys' hearts one day. They are so young to have learned these habits and we hope that we can help them before they grow and are stealing more than just quarters!

I don't want to post their names to this blog, but please joing me in praying for these children and for wisdom for us to instruct and love them. They also have a friend who joins them in the mornings who used to come to the center. He used to come to the center, but he stopped coming. His situation is very similar to these 2 boys. Please pray that he will come back and that we will be able to help him. If God wants him here, he will come back.
Dayana playing with Matia

One of my concerns is that social services here in El Salvador could take these children away. In that case, they would go to a state-run institution. Funding is difficult in El Salvador and state-run institutions leave a lot to be desired. That is one reason that we are working to open an orphanage so that we can help children that would otherwise be in a situation with little hope and shine hope into their lives. Pray that we have wisdom for this process and funding soon!


P.S. Some of you were asking for wedding pictures. Here are just a couple!

Matia and me

My nieces wore typical Salvadoran dresses!


2 comments: