Monday, March 19, 2012

I've Been Adopted :)

I think I was officially adopted by Olman today. He started to call me "mommy" today. I'm not sure where that came from, but it sure melted my heart. He had a good day with us today. I think that sometimes he comes hungry because today I fed him when he came in because he seemed hungry and he wasn't as fussy today. :) We still have to keep him very busy; he is nonstop! He helped me teach the colors in English today. He brought the blocks of each color to each kid and touched them with it. I guess he thought that would be the most effective way for them to learn. The other kids were not quite sure what to make of it. Olman also helped Matia and me clean up today after the rest of the kids left. He loves playing in water and he helped me wash the dishes and helped Matia mop the floor. He's a fun little kid. He was the last kid at the center today since his family forgot to stop by and pick him up. When we finished cleaning, I walked into another room for a few minutes and Olman looked at Matia and said, "Mommy? Mommy left!" Now what am I supposed to do with that? Maybe his family will let me keep him. :)

Olman helping me wash the dishes. 
Olman helping us mop the floor. :)

 There was some confusion with the schedule with the younger children Friday and today, so we had less children than usual, but it worked out well in the end. Gloria was not able to make it today and her replacement was sick this morning. We managed to make it work since I had some pupusa fixings and we had so few children. Matia took care of the kids while I made lunch. :) Olman came in the kitchen to ask for "tortillas" and then "helped" me wash the dishes. 

Kember (left) and Gerson. They are cousins. 

Josue (left) and Gerson. Gerson is also cousin to Ariel and Kember.

We have a lot of children in the afternoon. Matia and I are trying to decide our limit and I think we've reached it at 15 right now. I had a few new ones show up on Thursday that I didn't even know were interested. I couldn't turn them away because they come from very poor families and from what I hear from the people that know them, it is good for them to be with us. I had Kember (some of you may remember him from the last time I worked with the kids in Meanguera) and 2 of his cousins on Thursday afternoon - Gerson and Ariel. All three come from very poor families and it made me ache to see them eat. They ate every last drop and Gerson even finished someone else's plate that didn't want the rest. He waited until he thought I wasn't looking. Ariel seemed completely shocked by everything. He pretty much just sat there with his finger in his mouth the whole time. He must be about 6 years old and when we got the crayons out, he had no idea what to do with them. Once he figured it out, he thought it was great fun!

The children in the afternoon are always very interested in the Bible lessons and I am praying that God will touch there hearts. There are a lot of children with a lot of hurt and issues that we don't see on the outside. Kember is one that always seems to have a lot pent up inside. I hope that they will learn to know Christ's love and cling to Him in the difficulties. They are so little to have such hard times!

I still want to tell you all about each one of the children that come here and I will take some time to sit down and do that one day soon. Right now it's time to get ready for bed so I can get up and mill the corn tomorrow.  Please pass this information on if you know anyone who would like to sponsor a child or support Little Hands of Hope monthly. We have a lot of children like Kember, Ariel, and Gerson that I don't want to turn away, but we are working on a tight budget right now. Keep us in your prayers - the children, Gloria, Matia, and I all need prayer. I treasure your prayers more than anything else!

1 comment: