Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Fun Has Begun!

We've been having a fun week! As much as I feel at home here in Meanguera, there are still a lot of new things for me, but it's been fun to learn. I get up at 5am to go to the mill so we can make tortillas. I'm still not used to the disc that swirls in the middle of the mill and I'm not brave enough yet to stick my fingers in it like everyone else does. I haven't figured out whether or not I will lose my finger if I try it, but they don't seem to have any trouble.

I had a fun experience with a scorpion in my suitcase a couple of days ago. I wasn't quite ready to do battle with a scorpion by myself yet, and like any good girl, I called Matia to come and get it for me. :) 

We have a very fun group of children right now! They usually start showing up about 7:30 and are here until about 12pm. Right now, we have only started with the children who are 3-5 years old and are not going to school. Next week, we will have some children, 5-7years old, in the afternoon for a couple of hours. The group we have right now is a little shy. They are not ready to really sing yet. They just look at me and giggle, but I think they will start coming around soon. A few of them actually spoke some English words today! At first they were too shy to try. Anderson is particularly good at saying the Bible verse. :) 
Ezequiel, he's a very serious and shy little guy, but he's always enjoying himself..

The children have been very good so far. I think they will be more of a handful later on when they shyness goes away. Right now we have 8 who are really enjoying the center. One child never came and another little girl's mother didn't want to leave her daughter crying. :) Pray for these children - Anderson, Josue, Jonathan, Gissel, Dayana, Rosme, Ezequiel, and Lorena. I'm really enjoying all their different personalities and I will be telling you all more about them soon!

Dayana having snack with Matia. 

We are just a little unsure about singing here. 

Anderson - he never misses a beat!

2 comments:

  1. A scorpion? in your suitcase? EEEKKKK. Other than that, it sounds so cool! I'm glad your settling in and getting to know the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm used to seeing them, but not in my clothes. That wasn't my favorite, but now that it happened, I could handle it again. Matia is very handy for that. :)

    ReplyDelete